Clearing through a Google Doc, I found a number of links stored away for a rainy day. It’s raining, so here goes:
- I have fond memories of the wooden mirror at SIGGRAPH ’99. Daniel Rozin has kept the idea going.
- Facebook has some well-hidden tricks: you can embed Sketchfab models, lots of modelers can export to glTf for display, and their 3D Photos capability is eerie and cool. Related: cute iPhone app illusion, in case you missed it.
- Dinosaur Comics had a nod to ray tracing (and ray casting got a mention two years earlier).
- I still follow some Tumblr feeds of repeating GIFs. Here’s a hypnotic one, Bees & Bombs continues with some lovely stuff, and funny/strange bits at kiszkiloszki and Un gif dans ta gueule… Inactive but worthwhile if you haven’t seen them: bigblueboo sometimes hits the spot and dusum has some great flow examples.
- If you’re in the area (or even if not), MIT continues to entertain: a few weeks ago BAHfest was great (“bagpipes caused the Black Death” won; no YouTube video yet, so you could enjoy last year’s winner instead), the cozy & little-known New England Symposium on Graphics yesterday was pleasant, and I assume the Disobedience Award for 2019 is being determined in the weeks ahead.
- I’m impressed by groups that push out elaborate renderers. Here’s yet another: Godot (free on Steam).
- His and hers. The only difference in the two images are contrast settings.