Next in the continuing series. In this episode Jaimie finds that the world is an illusion and she’s a butterfly’s dream, while Wilson works out his plumbing problems.
- Ray tracing blasts from the future-past: Rayshade is on Github, and the IBM 1401 is now rendering. Oh, and at the other end of things, 2D light transport simulation.
- Speaking of ray tracing, here’s a 4K demoscene demo that’s pretty great considering its size. I started it 50 seconds in because it gets nice after that. More info and code’s here.
- 3D printing is dead, thank heavens, and has lots going on: phone-driven 3Dprinter (color me skeptical), and Mattel plans on releasing a 3D printer for kids (if it doesn’t burn or maim, is it real technology?).
- How did this lovely image fill technique not get discovered long ago? Very clever. Code here.
- $3 million in art and sound assets from Infinity Blade are free for download, for use in Unreal Engine. Find them this way.
- Pixar collaborated with Khan Academy to make a free set of lessons on computer graphics with nice production values for grade/high schoolers. A few questions were mildly buggy when I tried them, and I reported the problems, so these may have been fixed.
- Freaky – click and orbit it a bit.